Ideas to Improve Your Reading Experience
I'll get straight to it. Reading should be completely enjoyable. Here are some ideas for you:
- If you find a book isn't for you, stop reading. And count it as read. Don't feel guilty. It's not your cup of tea and that is totally fine.
- Watch the movie first. If there is a movie based on your next read, watch it! It helps you know the story. I find when I watch the movie first, I tend to enjoy the movie and the book more.
- Read a summary of the book before you begin. This will help you understand which portions of the storyline are important.
- In contrast, relish the feeling of not understanding what's going on in the story. Trust that the author will make it all make sense, just let the story play out.
- Try reading out loud. Read aloud to your spouse, child, grandchild, parent or grandparent. Some of my favorite memories with my grandmother include reading to her.
- Only pick books that call to you. Have you ever just known a certain book would be one you would love? Trust that! Dive into those books.
- This applies particularly to the classics, not only should we enjoy the storylines presented but we should appreciate the language used. It can be confusing, but slow down and savor the descriptions the author gives.
I hope you find these helpful!